Friday, July 15, 2011

Green Smoothie 101

If you are friends with me on Facebook you know that I have been doing the green smoothie thing for a few weeks now.  I know you will never get tired of seeing all the veggies and fruits that I blend and post pictures of ;o)  My sister and some other friends from NC and some from here in FL have been hopping on the wagon as well and dusting off the old blender or whatever they have to use and mixing  up some amazing drinks! 

Here are reasons a smoothie is so easy :
1. most everyone has a blender so there is not special equipment to buy
2. you just throw somethings together in that you normally like the taste of and blend. 

Here is a beginners recipe that you can try:

Use about 1 cup of water (spring water or bottled preferred)
Use 1 or 2 handfuls of baby spinach (organic if you can get it)
1 banana (ripe)
1 cup of grapes (seedless)
1 cup of fresh pineapple

The key is to put the water first, then the greens, then the fruit.  You may have to stop and push the items down into the blades during the blending process to get them to their smoothest consistency.  You may want to crush ice with the mixture to make it cool or put in the fridge after you make it to have cold drink.  I normally drink half when I make it and take the other half with me for mid morning snack.  Shake it well when you drink the second half.  If I am at home I sometimes will blend it again.

If you don't like something leave it out.  You can substitute any other fruit in its place or just put more of another one.  For example you can put 2 cups of pineapple to compensate for the banana.  Or you could add an orange in its place (without the skin). 

The idea is for the beginner you want it to taste good so you will actually drink it.  Any fruit will do just make sure to put enough so that  you like the taste.  The spinach is barely noticeable when you combine with fruit. 

1 comment:

  1. I have been putting the spinach in last.. hmmm.. will try to put it in first next time.

    My recipe:
    1c pineapple
    1c blueberries
    1c grapes
    1c strawberries
    3 handfuls of spinach
    1 bottle water

    This yeilds a full pitcher in my Ninja. It fills up about 3-4 tall glasses.

    ReplyDelete